Click for Disneymooner Home Page
Disneymooner Facebook PageDisneymooners on PinterestDisneymooners TwitterContact Disneymoonersyourfairytalewedding blog 

Go Back   Disneymooners > Welcome to the Disneymooners > General Disney Wedding Planning

Notices

Old 08-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
Emeraldbride2016
New Mooner

Default Anyone *not* have bridesmaids?

Hi all, I am thinking of not having any bridesmaids for my upcoming wedding. It's funny, because when I was younger, I had it all planned out,, exactly who I would ask, but these days I just don't care for them...?

Would it look strange if I only had a maid of honour? And maybe not even that?
Emeraldbride2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:14 PM   #2
drjackal31
New Mooner

I don't think it would look weird. I would just stick with the rule if you don't have bridesmaids then you also don't have groomsmen. I personally don't want to have bridesmaids.
drjackal31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:10 AM   #3
Dignity

Fairy Mooner

You don't need to have a wedding party if you don't want one. I had a Maid of Honor and Joe had a Best Man - I didn't even want that much, but Joe really wanted to have his brother as a Best Man.

You don't need to ask anybody RIGHT AWAY either, I don't remember when your wedding is. I didn't ask my MOH until about 5 months out (and I'm so glad I took the time to decide, I've read so many nightmares about people asking their girls too early and having huge falling outs with them).

Dignity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:02 AM   #4
2BecomeDunne
New Mooner

Ive decided not to have bridesmaids of groomsmen, we are having a small wedding just 15 guests and i figured if i asked one niece id have to ask the other then my nephews would have to be involved and his nephews/brother/sister etc, then nearly everyone would be involved in the wedding party with only our Mothers being guests, so the decision was none and just have all the focus on us lol
2BecomeDunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
Christemo

Minnie Mooner

We're not having a bridal party. Soooo much easier!

Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:38 AM   #6
radiotrash

Minnie Mooner

We're not doing a bridal party either. FH had way too many people to be groomsmen and I had one person to be a bridesmaid. We ended up deciding it would be easiest to just have no bridal party at all and leave it at that.

It means not having to worry about dress/shoes/suits/etc and I'm sooooo all for that. Do whatever feels right for you, not what you think you should do!
radiotrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:07 PM   #7
elysemelon

Fairy Mooner

I am going to play devil's advocate here... we are having a HUGE wedding party. 8 BMs and 5 GMs. We have a very tight knit group of friends and I have some college friends included in the count. We also included my sister, SIL, and BIL in the count. So far, I have kept them all very hands off and it has worked out great.

The "rules" have been for them:
Show up where you need to be
Be dressed (appropriately)
Pay only for clothes, plane, and hotel

I just keep them in the loop without asking many opinions.

I say do what you feel is best. For me, I couldn't imagine my wedding without celebrating with our friends, especially since we have been together for 10 years and they have all seen us grow together as a couple. They are all really invested in us.

Elyse & AJ
Monday, November 23, 2015 SBP/LSS/Italy Isola West
Planning Journal//Planning Session//Wedding Recap//Disneymoon Recap
elysemelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:48 PM   #8
MissBiancaBride

Princess Mooner

I had my brother and Mike had his sister, and that was it. All that mattered is that it felt natural and right to us - and that happiness we felt shone through on the day and in our pictures. Nowadays anything goes!

Katie & Mike ~ June 1, 2015
Welcome Party: Big River Grille & UK Lochside DP//Wedding: Wedding Pavilion & California Grill Napa Room
1) Planning Journal 2) Planning Session Recap 3) Wedding Recap 4) Wedding Podcast 5) Honeymoon Recap6) Happily Ever After Journal
MissBiancaBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #9
MegAnn77
New Mooner

I think it is pretty common. If we didn't decide to just have us with the Memories Wedding, we would have had 7 on his side at home and maybe 3 on mine. It was too complicated. I would have preferred one on each side. Now it's just us and my two children. I wouldn't stress over it. It's your wedding!
MegAnn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #10
jenniesue
New Mooner

It's definitely common like the others are saying. If you're having a very small wedding (like I am and many other here), your wedding party becomes your entire wedding guest list. If you're going larger, it still won't be odd. It's your wedding in the end and if you only want one person or none up there with you, then who's to be the judge?
jenniesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #11
sharon

Mickey Mooner

We didn't have a bridal party. With 25 people at our wedding, everyone was 'special'. We did have some of our guests play certain roles as readers, sing, etc. and we tried to make time for small group activities with guests prior to our wedding and some of my girls got ready with me too. Do what feels right for you, it is your day and everyone should support your decisions.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #12
joliebean
New Mooner

I am planning on going the maid of honor and best man only route myself. I need at least one person to help me out through this process!
joliebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #13
DisneyElisabeth
New Mooner

My rule for weddings is that it's your wedding and therefore your rules. It's certainly not necessary to have a bridal party at all. At my wedding 11 years ago, we had 4 attendants each. Now we are only close friends with half of those people. My best advice is to choose carefully.
DisneyElisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #14
TheLittleMarcels
New Mooner

I don't think it's strange at all! I've been to weddings where there was no bridal party- not even a MOH or BM! It's YOUR day, YOUR way!
TheLittleMarcels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #15
K8 D
New Mooner

I think I'm having me daughters with me and his son with him. E May add my sister as MOH and b his twin brothers but really if we are having 30 guests is not really needed.
K8 D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:23 PM   #16
vclopez13
New Mooner

I'm not having any either! Honestly, my fiance is my best friend..and our siblings are NOT MOH/BM material, to put it straight.
vclopez13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:48 PM   #17
CathyB
New Mooner

I am not having one either - then again, our wedding so VERY small (4 people not including us) as we have big families and I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of a big wedding lol
CathyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:15 PM   #18
pawprint
New Mooner

I don't plan on having any bridesmaids. It's going to be a very small wedding, mainly just family. I was never interested in the whole gaggle of women idea of bridesmaids anyway. I may have a Maid of Honour (my sister), but even that's a maybe.

I was married before, and I remember so many people getting upset with me for not following what you are "supposed" to do - pick a boquete, bridesmaids, all that stuff. Now I feel like, it's my day, and I'll do what I want!!

I probably won't pick out a true "wedding" gown either - just a nice dress!
pawprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:38 PM   #19
Mjwedding17
New Mooner

We aren't having a bridal party either, really all of our guests are the wedding party (14-16 guests). Not sure what to do with my bridal bouquet though.. Who would hold it for me? Thoughts?
Old 03-17-2016, 07:46 PM   #20
mrsragsdale
New Mooner

We aren't having a bridal party and I'm so happy about that. I would just get a member of your family to hold your bouquet. I'll probably just have my mother hold mine.

YCG/Attic/UK Lochside
mrsragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:41 PM   #21
sharon

Mickey Mooner

We didn't have a bridal party. All together we had 28 people including us. Everyone was special, so how would we chose? My sister read a passage, as did my husband's best friend. They would have been our matron of honor and best man had we had a bridal party. One of my nieces sang a song, another walked down the aisle with me. Two days before the wedding, six of us girls met at the Grand Floridian for manicures and then dinner. It was so nice. We did other things like this throughout the days before the wedding so that everyone had time with us. In many ways, our wedding was not traditional. However, whenever we see our friends and family and talk about our wedding - they say they loved it and it was beautiful, the best time, best wedding, etc.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:32 PM   #22
futuremrsbosshardt
New Mooner

We are planning to not have any as of right now. I think it would be hard to choose and a lot of my friends are very random and don't know each other. I also don't have any siblings so that makes it harder. :/
futuremrsbosshardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #23
elysemelon

Fairy Mooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremrsbosshardt View Post
We are planning to not have any as of right now. I think it would be hard to choose and a lot of my friends are very random and don't know each other. I also don't have any siblings so that makes it harder. :/
My BMs were from all walks of my life (childhood, college, local friends), and they loved meeting each other more fully and spending time celebrating together!

Not trying to sway your decision, but now my BMs even hang out without me!

Elyse & AJ
Monday, November 23, 2015 SBP/LSS/Italy Isola West
Planning Journal//Planning Session//Wedding Recap//Disneymoon Recap
elysemelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:18 AM   #24
futuremrsbosshardt
New Mooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysemelon View Post
My BMs were from all walks of my life (childhood, college, local friends), and they loved meeting each other more fully and spending time celebrating together!

Not trying to sway your decision, but now my BMs even hang out without me!
Thanks for that! Yeah it's just hard to choose. I don't feel like I have any people right now that I know I would want or who would actually be very helpful. LoL! But we will probably have a very small wedding anyways so I think it will be okay.
futuremrsbosshardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:52 AM   #25
ToniMRap
New Mooner

Hands up for no bridal party! Planning a destination wedding is stressful enough. Once I explained that to my friends, they all understood and are still helpful in the planning process.
ToniMRap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #26
downmainstreet
New Mooner

I am planning on having my 2 siblings and possibly 1 close girl friend. I don't see the need for a huge wedding party
downmainstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #27
Travel_Bride
New Mooner

I am thinking of not having any bridal party. My fiance has 3 brothers (and each of them were in the other's wedding). He is closest to one of his brothers and would likely just select him if given the chance, but it would probably cause hurt feelings with the other two. I only have 1 very close childhood friend (known her since we were five) that I would want to be my MOH. No one else is even in the running. I don't mind a lopsided bridal party, but I think we would be just as happy having none at all.
Travel_Bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #28
roses
New Mooner

I don't believe I'm having a bridal party either. With such a small wedding, I wasn't sure it was necessary (for me at least).
Old 03-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #29
vino_monkey
New Mooner

I'm hoping not to have a bridal party...

My FI wants to have his best (female) friend standing up with us and I don't really want to obligate any of my friends to anything except enjoy themselves. It might look a little weird in photos but that's what we want.
vino_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:37 AM   #30
TiggerUK
New Mooner

Hmmm my other half is a twin and really wants his brother to be best man, but I do not want any bridesmaids! So were at a bit of an impasse. Mum keeps putting pressure on me to pick someone but I just cant. Were not getting married til 2019 so will put it off as long as I can. Lol.
TiggerUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #31
Mslady
New Mooner

I thought about doing this. My fiancé has one good friend that he would have to have as his best man but couldn't choose another groomsman without have 3 more. I want two because I have two good friends that I must have! This is an ongoing discussion.
Mslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #32
crunchyeyeballs
New Mooner

We are not have any bridemaids or groomsmen. I am throwing around the idea of having the parents walk up with us instead. Our wedding is in October 2017!! Getting closer and closer.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:24 PM   #33
Faded
New Mooner

I'm personally leaning towards just having a couple of people in my wedding party. I don't have a ton of close friends, and my fiance has even less! I'm not having the traditional pre-wedding events either, which does make me a bit sad but it nice to have less things to worry about.
Faded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:32 PM   #34
Princessbride123
New Mooner

Can the no bridal party/small bridal party people please psychically impose these thoughts in my fiance's head? :P In all seriousness we will likely have a small bridal party. He insists on having some GM. Manged to talk him down from the like 7 or 8 he wanted down to around 4. Hopefully I can get it to stay that way!
Princessbride123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:58 AM   #35
te170381
New Mooner

Im only having my little girl as flower girl.

I personally dont really want the debarcle of having to please everyone with what theyre wearing etc, if you know what i mean.

My OH wanted two best men, both of which look as if they wont be coming now...
te170381 is offline   Reply With Quote