Click for Disneymooner Home Page
Disneymooner Facebook PageDisneymooners on PinterestDisneymooners TwitterContact Disneymoonersyourfairytalewedding blog 

Go Back   Disneymooners > Welcome to the Disneymooners > General Disney Wedding Planning

Notices

Old 02-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #1
Tiffany924
New Mooner

Default Ohana's for a reception dinner

I'm an escape bride only because I dont want to do a formal reception after my ceremony. But now I am thinking of places to eat after. I thought Ohana's would be perfect because who doesn't love O'hanas?!?!

Does anyone know if they even do reservations for a group of 20?
Tiffany924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
Tiffany924
New Mooner

Default Gift Cards

Can you use Disney Gift Cards to pay for the wedding, or can they only be used on hotel and park stuff?
Old 02-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
Cruisin'Mike
New Mooner

Hi Tiffany,

It's been quite a few years ago, but I know we had a large group, definitely more than 20, for dinner at 'Ohana. My friend had to contact Group Dining to make the reservation.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #4
elphie101

Fairy Mooner

From what I've heard from brides who have hosted rehearsal dinners there, when making a group reservation at Ohana big enough to warrant calling you're typically encouraged to boom either the first or last reservation of the day (I want to say 5:30 or earlier, or 9:30, something around that). I'll admit I have no first hand experience in this myself, just what I've heard from brides as it is a very popular rehearsal dinner option.

Planning Journal // Wedding Recaps // WDW/DCL Honeymoon Recaps // Happily Ever After Journal
elphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:54 PM   #5
Cruisin'Mike
New Mooner

Yes, what Jenn said was true for us too. I remember having the choice of early or late. We chose the earlier one. The servers were great and never rushed us. When we finished, we walked down to the beach to watch Wishes.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:50 PM   #6
gradteach
Gives in to Etsy!

Mooner Godmother

We did our reception dinner there and I wore my dress and we served our cake. We took the early seating but I will say that while waiting they tried to push us to the later seating until my MOH went bridezilla on them for me. They had a secret plan in mind for us which would have been awesome if I had not had the Grand 1 yacht booked for a fireworks cruise They were trying to be nice to give us window seating so we could watch the fireworks from there. Once the manager finally understood we were seated almost immediately and were out quickly.

I do think that you can use the gift cards to pay for the wedding but I would definitely make sure to ask for the current policy.
PJ Recaps Mousek
gradteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:00 AM   #7
Dignity

Fairy Mooner

We used Disney gift cards to pay our room and anything that was charged to the room. I'm sure if you're looking to pay for Ohana's with the gift cards, as long as they accept it they will.

Since you're looking at doing a seated dinner - you may want to look into Tables In Wonderland, annual passes (or FL residents) are allowed to purchase it. It gives you 20% off many of the sit-down dining options (alcohol included) but then does charge you 18% gratuity - it's good for up to 10 people and cost around $100 (so your fiance may both need one). Our dinner was at Yachtsman and it pretty much paid for itself right there.

Dignity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #8
bigr3ddot

Mickey Mooner

We were told we could not use Disney gift cards to pay for the wedding, but we used them to pay for everything else.

'Ohana will let you book up to thirty through Disney dining. Over thirty, you'll have to call the restaurant to speak to the manager. As mentioned above, they try to put large groups as first seating or last seating.

I also second the tables in wonderland card as Haley mentioned. The first card is $100, and then a second card from the same household is $50.
bigr3ddot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #9
indiana_princess

Minnie Mooner

I have been to an Ohana dinner with 30 people, and we were all seated together at the early seating.
indiana_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:03 AM   #10
Tiffany924
New Mooner

Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure I understand the tables in wonderland. Could you explain what that is a little more? Do I have to be a florida resident?

Thanks you guys are beyond helpful you me and I cant thank you enough.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:54 AM   #11
Dignity

Fairy Mooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany924 View Post
Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure I understand the tables in wonderland. Could you explain what that is a little more? Do I have to be a florida resident?

Thanks you guys are beyond helpful you me and I cant thank you enough.
For Tables in Wonderland you have to either be an Annual Passholder OR a Florida Resident.

The way it works is they take 20% off your bill, but then add an 18% gratuity fee (so some people say that you're only saving 2% - but if you generally tip between 15-20% anyway that's not a true statement). The 20% off includes alcohol.

It is a card that you have to carry with you, at the end of your meal, you simply present your card and they'll run it through and work out all the math for your bill.

The list of participating restaurants and more information is here: http://tablesinwonderland.com/

You do want to double check your bill to make sure they did include gratuity as I've heard some restaurants do not.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:36 AM   #12
Tiffany924
New Mooner

Oh, I am not a Florida resident, but I will be an annual pass holder when I get married there...will that count? Or could a florida resident purchase one for me?
Old 02-15-2015, 02:01 AM   #13
imaok4u

Minnie Mooner

I had a Shades of Green wedding and did my rehearsal dinner at Ohana for a group of 33. We had a bit of a wait but that's what cocktails are for. We also waited because the staff tried very hard to give us two big tables. It was a wonderful night, hope you do it.

Here's the making of our wedding: http://www.disneymooner.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15449
Here's how it went down: http://www.disneymooner.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15943
Shades of Green, Disney World
imaok4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #14
Dignity

Fairy Mooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany924 View Post
Oh, I am not a Florida resident, but I will be an annual pass holder when I get married there...will that count? Or could a florida resident purchase one for me?
As long as you have your annual pass you can get Tables in Wonderland. It can be purchased at the Guest Relations counters at the parks or in DTD. When we turned in our Annual Pass vouchers for our Disney wedding, we purchased Tables in Wonderland at that time.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #15
bigr3ddot

Mickey Mooner

We bought our second tables card the day before the welcome dinner. They don't need the card for you to make the ressie. Also, the name on the card has to match the person paying. So if you are paying by credit card, the name on the credit card must match the name on the tables card. For this reason, unless you have a Florida resident in your party who's willing to pay, you can't have someone get it for you.

Note that they don't always enforce this rule, but you never can tell. We both have our own cards, but we paid for the dinner with gift cards, so we didn't have this problem.
bigr3ddot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:22 AM   #16
Tiffany924
New Mooner

Thank you guys so much! I will definitely be looking into that! Thanks so much for explaining tables in wonderland to me. And I hope I do get Ohanas for our first meal together as husband and wife! XOXO
Old 02-23-2015, 05:09 AM   #17
Meaghan0610
New Mooner

If I get the tables in wonderland will it give me the discount on all 20 something we plan on having for rehearsal dinner at Ohana's? Or because we'll be more than 10 no? Thanks!!
Meaghan0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:12 AM   #18
Dignity

Fairy Mooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaghan0610 View Post
If I get the tables in wonderland will it give me the discount on all 20 something we plan on having for rehearsal dinner at Ohana's? Or because we'll be more than 10 no? Thanks!!
You could have the bill split up, you have to make sure it's going to make sense to do this though. How many people do you have total? You can buy 1 Tables in Wonderland for $100 and add one on for $50 - this will allow you to get 20 up to 20 people at the 20% off (+ 18% gratuity). The rest, you'll have to pay the normal fees for. Some restaurants have given Disney brides more than the 10-20 people they were allotted, but that is TOTALLY up to the restaurant and you shouldn't expect it.

You'll have to do the math and see what is going to work best for you.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #19
Kaitlin1015
New Mooner

We have done a reservation for 25 before so I am sure that would be fine! That was a few years ago though so I am not sure if it is the same. That would be a great reception place! Good thinking I will have to keep that in mind as well.
Kaitlin1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #20
lisaw
New Mooner

Thanks for the tips on the Tables card. We have one, maybe do something like this versus a private location. I am also trying to find out about the Grand 1 experiences people have had versus the traditional DP
lisaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #21
Christemo

Minnie Mooner

Tables in Wonderland is also a DVC perk.
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #22
KDisney85

Fairy Mooner

We had a group of 24 at O'Hana for our rehearsal dinner. Our wedding party is still raving about the food!

Kristen & Josh WDW Wishes Wedding September 2014
Planning Journal
Planning Session Recap
Wedding Recap
KDisney85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:02 AM   #23
Will run for Mickey
New Mooner

Is the fireworks outside on the beach at the poly really good? I'm debating having my welcome dinner at the California grill but o'hana would be much cheaper
Will run for Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:16 AM   #24
july541
New Mooner

Thanks so much for explaining tables in wonderland to me. And I hope I do get Ohanas for our first meal together as husband and wife!
july541 is offline   Reply With Quote