Click for Disneymooner Home Page
Disneymooner Facebook PageDisneymooners on PinterestDisneymooners TwitterContact Disneymoonersyourfairytalewedding blog 

Go Back   Disneymooners > Welcome to the Disneymooners > General Disney Wedding Planning

Notices

Old 12-19-2016, 11:09 PM   #1
amanda
New Mooner

Default Disney vs Non-Disney

Hey everyone!
I am in need of some advice. Making the decision between having a Disney wedding or not having a Disney wedding is so difficult. Both mine and my fiancé's family are quite large, so if we were to have a non-Disney wedding, if we have it at home it would not be a small wedding. On the other hand, if we have a Disney wedding, we would do an escape package and pretty much have only immediate family.

There are so many pros to having a Disney wedding, but part of me worries that I might regret missing having a big wedding and reception with all of my friends and family at home. If we do have a Disney wedding we would still have a small party at a family members house, but no big fancy reception (we wouldn't be able to afford one). Thoughts? Experiences?
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #2
elysemelon

Fairy Mooner

Hi Amanda! Welcome!

My husband and I also come from very large families and also went through this deliberation. Your wedding is a celebration of your relationship with your fiance.

My largest pro-disney argument is that you can really focus on making your wedding a very individual and special celebration. By inviting only those that you truly want to celebrate with, you are able to focus on experiencing your wedding day and being fully present with those people.

It really comes down to what you want from your wedding experience. We had a very casual home reception about a month later with the larger group, and I honestly felt like that was also very special. It required very little planning, so we were able to reap the benefits of celebrating with the larger family without the stress of a large wedding.

That being said, if you are worried you may regret not having people there, I would suggest evaluating what is most important to you and your fiance about your wedding day. If celebrating with EVERYONE is a big deal-breaker to you, I would advocate for the home reception in addition to the wedding in WDW or DL!

Elyse & AJ
Monday, November 23, 2015 SBP/LSS/Italy Isola West
Planning Journal//Planning Session//Wedding Recap//Disneymoon Recap
elysemelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:58 AM   #3
MissBiancaBride

Princess Mooner

Hi Amanda! I had similar conversations with my now-husband. His family is enormous so we would have had a very large at-home wedding. Elyse said it perfectly: I wanted a more personalized experience where I could truly be present and spend quality time with all of my guests. Disney allowed us to have a quality, fun, totally unique experience that was drawn out over several days. We were honestly guests at our own wedding: it was like we just showed up and the most talented events people in the world threw us the party of our dreams. Many of my friends who got married at home had a phenomenal experience but didn't quite have that feeling of total escape and celebration. Plus, I get to relive that feeling and marvel at our experience every time we go back to Disney. It's hard to put into words how truly special it is to be a Disney couple .

Every Disney wedding is entirely different with all of the options they have, so I would definitely encourage you to read wedding recaps on here and to listen to podcasts from Disney Travel Babble. I did one that's linked in my signature and I speak a bit to how we decided to get married in Disney and why we never regretted it.

Ultimately, as much as I'm so happy and passionate about my own choices, it's a hugely personal decision, and I'm certain you'll be happy wherever you get married - because really, it's about who you're marrying, not where you're marrying them . Lots of luck and happy planning!

Katie & Mike ~ June 1, 2015
Welcome Party: Big River Grille & UK Lochside DP//Wedding: Wedding Pavilion & California Grill Napa Room
1) Planning Journal 2) Planning Session Recap 3) Wedding Recap 4) Wedding Podcast 5) Honeymoon Recap6) Happily Ever After Journal
MissBiancaBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
amanda
New Mooner

Hi,
Thanks for the replies! We still need to make a pros and cons list and talk it over some more but I feel like we are both leaning more towards Disney. It is also much cheaper to do an Escape package than a huge wedding at home and would be a very cool experience. Also, looking at the wedding my sister had, she felt that there were so many people that she could barely even say hi to everyone.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:57 AM   #5
minniejem
New Mooner

We're planning to have a Disney wedding and have always thought it would be cheaper than having a wedding here at home in the UK and much more intimate. Our family events tend towards people sitting and talking within the same groups anyway, and I hate the pressure to invite relatives that we have no personal relationship with.
minniejem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
Chip's Mummy
New Mooner

I felt the same but in the end I cancelled my big wedding to go to Disney with just my fiance and son. When we get back to Scotland we will have a big party xxx
Chip's Mummy is offline   Reply With Quote